Messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA):
Nucleoside-modified mRNA encoding the viral spike (S) glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2
Provides instructions the body uses to build a harmless piece of a protein from the virus that causes COVID-19. This protein causes an immune response that helps protect the body from getting sick with COVID-19 in the future.
- PEG2000-DMG: 1,2-dimyristoyl-rac-glycerol, methoxypolyethylene glycol
- BotaniChol® (non-animal origin cholesterol)
- SM-102: heptadecane-9-yl 8-((2-hydroxyethyl) (6-oxo-6-(undecyloxy) hexyl) amino) octanoate
Work together to help the mRNA enter cells.
Salt, sugar, acid stabilizers, and acid:
- Sodium acetate
- Sucrose (basic table sugar)
- Tromethamine hydrochloride
- Acetic acid (the main ingredient in white household vinegar)
Work together to help keep the vaccine molecules stable while the vaccine is manufactured, frozen, shipped, and stored until it is ready to be given to a vaccine recipient.