Published Apr 6, 2020 at 3:48 pm
(Updated Apr 6, 2020 at 6:37 pm)
Bermuda has recorded its first two deaths as a result of Covid-19.
David Burt, the Premier, made the announcement at a press conference this evening.
He said the island also received two more positive cases today, meaning the total number of confirmed cases is now 39.
Mr Burt said 17 people have fully recovered and six are in a stable condition in hospital.
Mr Burt opened the press conference this evening saying he was extremely sad to break the news to the country.
A middle-aged individual passed away over the weekend, and had shared a household with someone previously identified as carrying the illness.
Their positive test result returned today.
Mr Burt said the patient appeared not to be in good health generally, but said their death would be investigated by the coroner.
The second fatality was a senior who had been in the hospital, and was one of the cases identified on April 4.
Mr Burt said they were stable yesterday, but died earlier today.
One of the new Covid-19 cases is now stable in hospital.
They flew home on a March 13 Delta Air Lines flight, but were not showing symptoms while aboard.
Mr Burt said: All the days have been tough. The day I had today was not as tough as it was for families who are grieving.
He said his stress rose when there are so many persons who believe that the rules do not apply to them.
Wayne Caines, the Minister of National Security, urged the public to minimise their movement as much as possible.
Mr Caines said there were still people going out who were not taking this seriously.
As of tonight, there are 52 people under self-quarantine with public health supervision.
But the numbers will rise after the arrival today of a British Airways charter flight bringing residents home.
Four cases remain under investigation, meaning their contact tracing has not been completed.
Mr Burt reminded the public that a WhatsApp update service was available at 504-6045, with 2,600 people now signed up.
The Premier said the service had proved useful today as there had been false rumours circulating about flights coming.
Mr Burt closed his prepared remarks at 6.15pm, saying: Tonight I want to end by again giving my condolences on behalf of the Government and people of Bermuda to the families tonight who are mourning their loss.
Mr Burt said that the island would be significantly ramping up its testing for the virus.
Kim Wilson, the Minister of Health said every single avenue is being explored for acquiring tests, but that worldwide shortages had included challenges obtaining tests from the United States.
She said patients currently in hospital are not on ventilators.
Police Commissioner Stephen Corbishley said the island continued to see a continuing, albeit small trend of people not observing guidelines over movements.
Mr Corbishley said police would increase their checkpoints tonight and tomorrow, doubling them across the island.
He said some of the excuses given to police had been ridiculous and added: Be sensible, take responsibility and follow the guidelines.
Mr Caines said he would request an extra complement of embodied Royal Bermuda Regiment soldiers to go out, boosting their numbers to 250.
More to follow.